1. The people in my life – family, friends and co-workers, all of whom make my world a happier place.
2. Conversations with my sister.
3. Cheese plates and gin cocktails.
4. My gigantic bag filled with everything a girl could ever need – a license, an ATM card, a good book, cheap ballpoint pens, a notebook, a camera, eyeliner and toffee-flavored lip balm.
6. The First Amendment – “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
Take a moment and think about the rights afforded to you by this solitary sentence. And then, think about the billions (that’s Carl Sagan with a B billions) of people who don’t have the same rights. We are lucky bastards (check out Reporters without Borders).
7. Comfy t-shirts.
8. Writers — whether they write articles, novels, letters, obituaries, poetry, entries, jokes, scripts or lyrics. In newspapers, books, blogs, notebooks hidden under the mattress, on walls in bathroom stalls or on their bodies.
9. Phoebedog peeing with excitement every time we see each other, Ryely cuddling with me in front of the fireplace and Sadie’s happy tail every time I scratch her tush. Dogs are the best thing to happen to humanity.
10. The internet – without it, Augs and I wouldn’t be together, I wouldn’t be able to stay in such close contact with the people I love and it would be really, really hard to find Mean Girls memes and photographs of Ron Livingston.
Happy Thanksgiving! Now, I am off to make the traditional vegetable lasagna (vegetarians don’t really get down with turkey so much).