My favorite episode of Boy Meets World is the one where Shawn falls in love with Angela based on the contents of her bag.
When I was younger, I had all sorts of interesting shit in my bag – guitar picks, crumpled photos and notes, concert ticket stubs, sand and seashells (always sand) and errant bits of jewelry.
Now, I am old, boring and functional and my bag definitely reflects that fact.
– My camera. I got Fudge Pop (yes, I named my camera Fudge Pop) for my 29th birthday and I love him.
– Pens. Because nary a day goes by without me scribbling something frantically on my hand.
– My overstuffed wallet with more money that jingles than folds, entirely too many cards and stubs and a baseball card featuring Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies. Dude’s got a wicked biscuit.
– My glasses. I think I need a new prescription. My terrible eyes are starting to get even worse. I’m kinda digging on these.
– Hand Sanitizer from the Body Shop. It’s supposed to smell like lemons. It smells like low-grade kitchen cleaner. Not cute.
– The Comforter solid perfume from Lush. It smells like blackcurrants which reminds me of my childhood because I was all about the Ribena and black jelly babies.
– My phone. It is not fancy. It is not cool. It is not pretty. But it is functional and enables me to stay in touch with the people I love the most. Also, Twitter.
– Passionberry Vanilla Body Butter. According to Ulta, it is a sensual mix of passionfruit, pink berries and vanilla orchids. According to me, it smells yummy.
– A mirror
– Errant hair ties and bobby pins because even though I wake up two hours before work to do my hair, it still looks like a bird’s nest most days.
– Chacho. He’s my lucha libre good luck charm who wrestles away the bad mojo in my life. Also, it reminds me of home as I got it the last time Paps, my sister and I went to the supermercado by Mom’s. That place is awesome. Fully stocked with Mexican coke, spicy snacks, good Cuban coffee and kick-ass hot sauce. Man, I miss that joint.
– Make up bag.
– Orthotricyclen. ‘Cause you know what’s awesome? Modern medicine.
– Bobbi Brown lip gloss, Sugar lip balm and Burt’s Bees lip balm. I might have a lip of a problem.
– Cinnamon flavored gum. Growing up as a kid in England, cinnamon-flavored gum didn’t exist. I remember actually chewing sticks of cinnamon (ah, the joys of growing up ethnic…). Then, I moved to the States, discovered this magical stuff and became obsessed.
– Lush’s Shimmy Shimmy Bar. Or as Sarah calls it, ‘that stripper stuff you have.’ Thanks, Sarah!
– Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm. Again, I have a problem.
– Lush’s Mint Julip Lip Exfoliant. It smells good, it tastes good and makes my lips soft. Girl’s gotta be prepared in case Ron Livingston shows up (I’m sorry, Mrs. Livingston. Your husband is a very handsome man)
– Keys to Esther.
– Notebook for scribbling random nonsense. Mostly, “Yo Dipshit! Don’t Forget: ______” lists.
– A cardigan because most places I do, the air is turned down to arctic levels and I get really cold, really easily.
What’s in your bag?